Friday, February 8, 2013

How I got here

I am Theresa. I am a mom, wife and sister. My kidneys have not been perfect since 1993, but it has been manageable. I take my medicine and things are pretty stable. In 2010 it got a little shaky. Things were not so stable anymore. I even became borderline diabetic, borderline because I got my dr to postpone meds for 6 months. I got on a strict clean eating diet and regular workout routine. Dropped almost 100lbs and got all my numbers back in check. I was also diagnosed with Sjogren’s Syndrome. Ugh, really can there be anymore?

My younger sister has Crohn’s Disease, it is a crappy disease. She is definitely sicker than me. In December of 2011 I ran in Vegas to raise money for the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation. I was not much of a runner and my body wasn’t in tip top shape. But honestly it wasn’t about me. It was about her, couldn’t cure her but I could run.

2012 I didn’t do much, we became the proud parents of a beautiful grand daughter. And babies take time, she needed me home not running after work. So I thought. My body started getting out of whack again. First time I learned that Sjogren’s is a lot more of a bum kicker than just dry eyes.

Speed up to today. My older sister has cancer. It is back. I can’t cure her either, but I can run. I can raise money for the smart people that can cure her. I have a little kidney disease and an autoimmune problem. But those things won’t kill me. Not if I eat right and get my butt in shape. I don’t have cancer. So I am my Sister’s Runner, because I can run for her. I can do this little bit to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment